Most Windows Live Mail users are moving towards trending email clients. Nowadays, Microsoft Outlook is the top-ranked email client. It is a reliable and smart email application therefore users are looking forward to exporting Windows Live Mail to Outlook on another system. Through this article, we will find an accurate solution for the conversion.
Before you know the method, let us first know the reasons for this conversion.
Why do need to export Windows Live Mail emails to Outlook?
As Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by Microsoft, users stop using it. It does not work properly with Microsoft Exchange. Therefore, users look for solutions to migrate it to other supported email clients like Outlook.
Some other reasons are:
- Outlook works easily with Microsoft Exchange but Windows Live Mail doesn’t support it.
- Windows Live Mail is included with a programming interface but Outlook has advanced features.
- Outlook allows users to access emails, contacts, notes, and other items in offline mode.
Ways to transfer Windows Live Mail emails to Outlook on another computer
There are two methods for the conversion:
- Using Microsoft Exchange option
- Using Windows Live Mail File Path
Method 1. Using Microsoft Exchange option
Windows Live Mail offers the function to export WLM email items into Microsoft Exchange. From MS Exchange, the files can be easily downloaded in PST format. Then, downloaded PST files can be imported by Outlook using the import/export feature.
Steps to export Windows Live Mail emails to Microsoft Exchange
- Launch Windows Live Mail. Hit the File menu, select the Export email and finally Email messages.
- Choose the Microsoft Exchange option and press next.
- A new message will appear, click OK to continue.
- Choose Outlook in the profile drop-down list and click OK.
- In the Export messages dialogue box, select any of the options. Click OK.
- After this, the Export process will begin.
- Wait for its completion and once it is done, you will get a confirmation message.
- Now, you can check the status of the process by opening Outlook.
Through these steps, WLM email items are successfully exported to Exchange. Now, the emails are downloaded in a PST file. After that, import the PST file to Outlook using the following steps:
Steps to import PST file to Outlook:
- Open Outlook application.
- Go to the File menu and finally choose the Import/Export option
- In the new wizard, choose Import from another program or file option and press Next.
- Click on Outlook (.pst) file option and press Next.
- Visit the Import Outlook data file window and choose the PST file that you need to import.
- If the PST file is protected with a password, type the password and press OK.
- For saving imported files, choose the folder.
- Hit the Finish button to start the import process.
- The exported PST file will appear on the left panel. Then, create a new folder and drag & drop these files into it.
- This is how the PST file is now imported to Outlook.
Method 2. Using Windows Live Mail File Path
You can move Windows Live Mail files from the system path. WLM files are stored in EML formats. If you shift those files to another system then it can be done by configuring the Outlook email client in the new system. Just drag and drop all EML files to the newly created folder in an Outlook email client. Follow the steps:
- Find Windows Live Mail files on your PC by following the path:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
- Now, copy all files to a storage device.
- Then, connect that storage device with the new PC where you want to transfer the file.
- Now, start the Outlook application and create a new folder (WLM)
- At last, drag & drop these WLM files into this folder.
These manual methods consume a lot of time and are complex. As you know that Windows Live Mail stores files in EML format and Outlook stores in PST format. It is the best way to go for a direct way to convert Windows Live Mail to Outlook. Therefore, you can use EML to PST Converter for transferring EML files into Outlook PST format on Windows and Mac OS. Later, the PST file can be imported into Outlook. Also, the program works smoothly with all Windows, Mac, and Outlook versions.
I hope with this blog, you have found manual methods to export Windows Live Mail to Outlook on another system. If you want a direct method, use the given professional tool. With this software, no need for technical knowledge. The best part of this software is it is suitable for all Mac and Windows versions.